Reenacting Wagoneers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mex War Teamsters

2 posters

Go down

Mex War Teamsters Empty Mex War Teamsters

Post  benjclark Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:48 am

Will be doing a Mexican War (1840s) candlelight tour at Ft. Washita (Oklahoma) in Nov. and have found out I'll likely be a civilian contract teamster. I haven't heard yet about the specific scenario, exact year or anything. I have not read a thing on teamstering during the Mex War. Can anyone point me toward some helpful reading?

Thanks,
Benjamin L Clark

benjclark

Back to top Go down

Mex War Teamsters Empty Re: Mex War Teamsters

Post  benjclark Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:49 am

I forgot to add, any images would be helpful as well!

TIA,
Benjamin L Clark

benjclark

Back to top Go down

Mex War Teamsters Empty Mexican War Teamsters

Post  Gery Barker Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:12 am

For what you need, there is a fair amout of information sandwiched in in the books on the Sante Fe trade.

Susan Shelby Magoffin, Down the Santa Fe Trail and into Mexico, Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press; 1982.

Mark L. Gardner, Wagons for the Santa Fe Trade, Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press; 2000.

David Dary, The Santa Fe Trail, New York: Penguin Books; 2000.

Lewis H. Gerrard, Wah-to-yah and the Taos Trail, Norman: Univeristy of Oklahoma Press; 1955.

If you need material on how a teamster worked, I like Empire on Wheels by Settles and The Wagonmasters by Walker, both easy to find.

When I do a CW persona I base it on someone from the Santa Fe Trade and with my age I would have had to have been involved in wagoning duing the war. There are long range shots of the wagons (in the background) but none of teamster's clothing, etc. up close from the war, but I suspect the dress of the wagoners on the Santa Fe Trail would be awfully close.

Let me know if I can help.

Gery
Gery Barker
Gery Barker

Back to top Go down

Mex War Teamsters Empty Re: Mex War Teamsters

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum