Reenacting Wagoneers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What about my wagon?

3 posters

Go down

What about my wagon? Empty What about my wagon?

Post  aWagonMaster Thu May 21, 2009 7:02 pm

This is a hard subject, It is very difficult to lay down a solid hard answer. I would love to see a good dialogue on this one.
For a starter let’s say if you can fool a camera from 25 feet, could be a place to start.
But the driver must be ready to answer questions as to their rig when folks ask about it.
At some point we need to draw a line. If the line cuts my wagons out then so be it. I will have to upgrade or get out.
I believe we can all agree to not allow my Rubber tire wagon with steel top bows, hydraulic breaks, chrome hub caps, vinyl top with windows, captain seats… to go on a field. So let’s have a discussion on what will and won’t work. I believe we all have pride in what we have worked hard for.
aWagonMaster
aWagonMaster

http://www.nstarhitches.com

Back to top Go down

What about my wagon? Empty Re: What about my wagon?

Post  Jim Bishop Thu May 21, 2009 9:46 pm

I haven't seen many original wagons that were 1860 era. I can't find a lot of pictures or information on the web. Is there a museum or something that has any? I have seen ambulances in a museum close to Vicksburg Ms. before I started reenacting.
Jim Bishop
Jim Bishop

Back to top Go down

What about my wagon? Empty Very Few

Post  aWagonMaster Fri May 22, 2009 8:44 am

I have seen a very few in my area. I know Gery has at least 1. I know Jack King has 1 and has acquired the drawings to build correct military wagons. I just don’t see me ever being able to afford $10k for a wagon. I keep my eye out for correct wagons and wagon parts. I will post an article I found on the Studebaker Wagon in this forum. That article made me feel a bit better about my Studebaker wagon for use in the CW era. Please read it and let me know what you think.
aWagonMaster
aWagonMaster

http://www.nstarhitches.com

Back to top Go down

What about my wagon? Empty Wagons of the era

Post  Gery Barker Sat May 30, 2009 7:37 am

A really good resource is the book Wagons for the Santa Fe Trade : Wheeled Vehicles and their Makers 1822-1880 by Mark Gardner. I got a copy for about $6 off Amazon. I think it will answer an awful lot of your questions on civilian wagons. The glory of the civilian wagon is that there were contract wagons throughout the war while early there were very few military wagons. - Gery
Gery Barker
Gery Barker

Back to top Go down

What about my wagon? Empty late 1800-1900 wagon Pictures

Post  Jim Bishop Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:30 pm

I have found a site that has a few good pictures of wagons 1885-1900 the wagons don't look much different that ours. This is an actual civil war picture. Looks to me like an army wagonWhat about my wagon? Pullin10
1890's Farm wagon
What about my wagon? 1890_w11
Another 1890 wagon that was in the same picture
What about my wagon? 1890_w12
Jim Bishop
Jim Bishop

Back to top Go down

What about my wagon? Empty Pictures

Post  Jim Bishop Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:43 pm

This site has the pictures plus a lot more.http://digitalcollections.smu.edu/all/cul/jtx/
I have also noticed that a lot of the horses don't have a lot of harness on also.
You can zoom them up pretty close using something on the site.
Jim Bishop
Jim Bishop

Back to top Go down

What about my wagon? Empty Wagons and Tack

Post  Gery Barker Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:56 am

The simple box wagon always seems to have been around.

Only the wheelers need breeching so the swing and lead spans can be in just collar, hames, tugs and a saddle to keep things in place. I have a reprint of a nineteenth century book on harnesses and the basic harness, like a Georgia plow harness, is really simple. I've made a number of these.

Gery
Gery Barker
Gery Barker

Back to top Go down

What about my wagon? Empty Re: What about my wagon?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down